Solve linear equations
- Solve problems involving linear equations, including those derived from formulas (ACMNA235)
- Solve linear equations involving simple algebraic fractions (ACMNA240)
- Solve problems involving parallel and perpendicular lines (ACMNA238)
Video: The Coordinate Geometry of Typography Page
Computers use mathematical expressions to display points, lines, curves and shapes to represent images.
Task: Graphing letters
Find the coordinates and gradients of the letters A and K before choosing your own letters to represent using linear and non-linear equations. One should include two lines that are parallel and two that are perpendicular – how do their gradients relate?
Solve simultaneous equations
- Solve linear simultaneous equations, using algebraic and graphical techniques including using digital technology (ACMNA237)
Video: Solving linear simultaneous equations
Use number plumber and algebra to find the cheapest rental truck.
Task: Find the cheapest rental truck
- Solve linear inequalities and graph their solutions on a number line (ACMNA236)
Video: Graphing inequalities Page
Using Geogebra to graph inequalities
Task: “You sunk my inequality!”
Choose coordinates for your battleship and use inequalities to plot your opponent’s destruction! Optional game board.
- Explore the connection between algebraic and graphical representations of relations such as simple quadratics, circles and exponentials using digital technology as appropriate (ACMNA239)
- Solve simple quadratic equations using a range of strategies (ACMNA241)
Interactive: Graphing parabolas
Graph parabolas using Geogebra.
Interactive: Throwing a ball
Apply quadratic equations to projectile motion.